Rehabilitation and therapy services
Acute rehabilitation is provided to residents who would benefit from a multidisciplinary rehabilitation program. Residents receive physical, occupational and speech therapy as required and are then medically managed by specially trained physicians.
The first focus in our acute rehabilitation program includes physical therapy, which focuses on identification and rehabilitation of physical impairment and pain, as well as future injury prevention. Our physical therapy team works toward goals of achieving the patient’s highest functional level of independence. Following an evaluation, our experienced physical therapists develop a personalized treatment program with the goal being to achieve safety in a variety of areas.
Areas of treatment focus may include:
- Increase strength and mobility in the body and lower extremities
- Improve coordination, balance and the ability to walk following a fracture
- Improve overall strength conditioning, range of motion and endurance
- Increase motor control for a resident who has suffered a stroke
- Teaching proper body mechanics to prevent injury
- Pain management
- Promoting safety awareness for the well being of the resident
Our team of occupational therapists use task-directed activities to change your movements so you can take care of yourself or your home, get your work done, play sports, or stay active while helping to make that activity less painful. We assist our residents in adapting their social and physical environment by mastering tasks and tools essential for daily living which can include eating without help from others, bathing and getting dressed, laundry and cleaning up around the house or leisure activities. We also assist residents with impaired vision and/or hearing to function well in their environment.
Areas of treatment may include:
- Functional independence: eating, bathing, toileting, homemaking, cooking, etc.
- Maintenance of wellness: dressing and grooming
- Prevention of further disability: home assessments and modifications, adaptive equipment
- Increasing safety awareness
Speech and Language Therapy
Our speech therapists provide a range of interventions to assess and help restore abilities in the areas of communication, swallowing and cognition. Treatment programs are designed to help residents affected by brain injury, dementia, stroke, and other neurological disorders. We also work with residents suffering from hearing impairment, swallowing difficulties, respiratory illnesses and other complex medical conditions.
Treatment focus may include:
- Improving speech and voice clarity
- Conversational communication increasing comprehension and verbal expression
- Improving chewing and swallowing ability
- Memory, problem solving, and abstract reasoning aimed at improving cognitive communication
- Resident and family/caregiver education and training for managing ongoing difficulties with communication, cognition, and swallowing
- Exercises to strengthen oral muscles
- Breathing exercises for resonance
Recreational therapy utilizes activity based interventions to address individuals with illnesses or disabling conditions that may limit mental and physical health or well-being. Our staff create a care plan designed to restore or rehabilitate a resident’s level of independence in life activities and reduce or eliminate any limitations or restrictions to participation in life events due to illness. Our recreational therapists aim to reduce stress and anxiety in residents, helping to build confidence and encouraging socialization with their peers.
Recreational therapy goals include:
- Improvement of independence and productivity
- Decrease in depression, anxiety and stress
- A focus on skills that carry over to everyday life
- Resident becomes more informed and active in their own healthcare